Monday, December 6, 2010

...roots

This past Thursday I left on a jet plane to Guyana, South America and returned yesterday (Sunday). It was a QUICK trip and totally worth it!!! I got to spend some quality time with my 91 year old grandfather, and time with 2 of my aunts that happened to fly down to Guyana the same time I did! (They're there for the rest of this week.)

On my flights down to Guyana I had to switch planes in Trinidad. I had about an hour to get through immigration, customs, and get my boarding pass. This may seem like plenty of time, but as I was exiting customs I heard the airline making the last call for passengers of MY flight! YIKES!! I got up to the ticket counter and asked for my ticket, and the lady (without blinking) told me I was too late. After some confident begging she let me in!! I then turned around to pull a Home Alone airport run gag. I made it to the first security stops, and the guard started lecturing me on being late!!! I retorted that his verbal observations aren't helping my situation. I quickly grabbed my passport and bolted to the next stop. After more obstacles through the security scanner I made it to the gate and was relived to see a few other stragglers. I stepped on the plane and was greeted by my 2 aunts who were sitting in the back of the plane.

That was my first experience with running through an airport...I think I handled myself well. Aside from that my entire trip was excellent. I learned some great stories about my family ( ie a family member who always got into fights and would ditch house chores.) I was able to go into town and have some yummy Guyanese treats, and I met more family I wasn't aware of. For those who aren't familiar with Guyana, it is a country in South America...not Africa...that's Ghana. Below is a picture of where the country is located. My family is from the capitol, Georgetown.

Guyana doesn't observe the fall back or spring forward of their clocks, so in the fall/winter Guyana is 2 hours ahead and the rest of the year they are only 1 hour ahead. This is good for me because it means I won't have to deal with the jet lag, but I am sleepy...so.............

Enjoy your week!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous you got to just pick up and go on a quick trip to S.A. How fun!

    Amy and I are coming to the lunch at IBC on Sunday, hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete